Why is my EFC for FAFSA higher than last year?

Postby marshall21 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:34 am

Last year I had an EFC of 0, this year, over 2,000. I made the same as last year, and my dad only made 5,000 more than he did last year. Since I'm currently living with my sister, she claimed me on her taxes, whereas last year I claimed myself. Also, I'm switching schools, but the school I'm transferring to is more expensive/prestigious than the one I have now. Last year I got the full amount of pell allowed, this year it looks like I might not get that. Is it because my sister claimed me?
marshall21

Postby yiftach3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:36 am

Well EFC goes up as your school tuition goes up. Like at the college I attend It is 30,000 a year but If I went to a college were tuition was 15,000 then the EFC would go down since I would need less money.
yiftach3

Postby odwulf94 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:37 am

Your EFC has nothing to do with the expense of your school. It probably went up because your dad made more money or has more in savings/investments than last year. It has nothing to do with your sister at all.
And 0 to 2000 isn't a big jump either.
odwulf94

Postby marcos » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:39 am

Your EFC has nothing to do with the expense of your school. It probably went up because your dad made more money or has more in savings/investments than last year. It has nothing to do with your sister at all.
And 0 to 2000 isn't a big jump either.
It could be that your sister claimed you or it could be that your dad made a bit more last year. If you want to make sure, ask your financial aid tech person or call the FAFSA 1800 number and confirm It doesn't hurt just to know what is going on. Good luck
marcos

Return to Taxes