Why is WHERES MY REFUND not updated?

Postby gold11 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:34 pm

I understand that i need to wait for my refund,but i have a question about the process?I efiled with Turbo Tax on the 14th of Jan,2011.It got accepted on the 16th.It says that you can go to WHERE MY REFUND in 72 hrs to get refund info?Its now jan 23,2011,almost a week since it was accepted and well past the 72 hrs.All it says is its being processed and i should receive refund by feb 1,2011 if no errors?
Someone told me that if the return was accepted and its being processed that it means its approved and processed means the IRS is getting it ready for deposit?
Can someone please tell me if they know why its alsmost a week later and WMR is still saying processing the return and is my friend correct?
gold11

Postby mickey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:39 pm

You got your answer, still being processed and approximate date. Processing does NOT mean approved. It means someone is checking your return for errors and will NOT be approved till they are finished. Your friend is WRONG Why it is taking so long, you made a clerical error, math error, left something off or lied. You decide. Could be as simple as being overwhelmed and they can't handle the influx
mickey

Postby niles17 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Why do you keep asking this? Just relax and wait. WMR sometimes has delays in updating.
niles17

Postby stanhope18 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm

It is still updating
stanhope18

Postby daley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:54 pm

I have only ever noticed updates to WMR on Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings, I do not think they update it daily. Some have mentioned they also update on Sunday nights/Monday mornings, though that has never been my experience but maybe you will see something tomorrow. Regardless, if your return was accepted and no errors were found, you should receive your direct deposit on January 28.

Being accepted just means that the IRS has officially received it- it does NOT mean it has been approved.

Try not to stress over it- last year I NEVER got a notice of acceptance, and I still got my refund exactly when their schedule indicated I should expect it.
daley

Postby reiner99 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 pm

"We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Unless there is a processing delay or you owe other taxes, you should receive your refund by February 1, 2011"

That is a general, and generic status update. It is telling you that your return was accepted and is going through the IRS System now. IRS uses a system called CADE to process tax returns. While it was originally intended to be able to process returns within 24 hours allowing for direct deposit in 72 hours, various last minute tax laws passed each year since 2008 have prevented the IRS from fully using this system.

Back to your status message, if the IRS finds nothing wrong with the return (you own federal taxes from a prior year, non tax off-sets, ect) they will release the funds on 1/28. The IRS gives a two business day grace period since since banks will not make the funds available on 1/28. This is why it says 2/1. The IRS could also experience delays that they had in years prior. The Where My Refund online system is also not updated daily. According to the IRS it is updated weekly, and many have said it is something on the weekend. I would check back sometime tomorrow.

If approved your status will change once more later this week.
reiner99

Return to Taxes