Why is my 5 year old cat suddenly needy and very vocal?

Postby bºi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:38 am

My cat is 5 1/2 years old and I've had her since she was a kitten. We've lived in the same place for 2 years, so no recent moves. We've never had another pet besides her, and haven't gotten a new one, so it's not loneliness or insecurity. We also haven't changed her food, litter, or routine in general. For the last few weeks she has meowed relentlessly, and it's getting under my skin because I cannot figure out why she's being so vocal or how to get her to be quiet. She's also become very needy and clingy; not wanting to let me or my boyfriend out of her sight. She gets under my feet now, which she used to never do, nearly causing me to trip. Lastly, last night, she peed on my bed when her litter box was clean. I cannot figure out what is wrong with her, and at the moment, I don't have the money for her to see a vet. It seems more behavioral than physical anyway. Any ideas why she's acting like this, and what I can do to help her and to keep myself from going crazy with this new behavior? I love her with all my heart, like my own fuzzy child, so I have no idea what's going on; I usually know her quirks pretty well. The meowing is getting to me the most.
bºi

Postby jessey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 am

She needs to go to the vet for a checkup. I wouldnt have been so concerned with just the needy or vocalization but because she has peed outside the litterbox, she could likely have an infection. Anytime your cat pees somewhere outside the box, it is concerning, because this is the cats way of trying to tell you something is wrong. Cats are prone to urinary tract infections, and will often start to avoid the litter box because they associate it with the discomfort they are having when they pee. And she has probably been more vocal and clingy because she is trying to tell you something is wrong and now, since that didnt work, she is peeing on your bed. I understand financial issues, but your cat really should have a vet examine her as she probably needs some medicine. Get her to the vet as soon as possible. I have a cat blog with more info if you're interested.
jessey

Postby niallan71 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 am

No, you should not consider you preceding coming to a conclusion
niallan71

Postby kirklyn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 am

Sudden changes like this usually always have a medical reason. Have her checked up--you can swing the price of a checkup for her.

Have the vet check her hearing too. When ours went deaf at age 15 he was increasingly vocal.
kirklyn

Postby devry4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 am

Sudden changes like this usually always have a medical reason. Have her checked up--you can swing the price of a checkup for her.

Have the vet check her hearing too. When ours went deaf at age 15 he was increasingly vocal.
Hi, This is a tough one. Let's start with the basics. Meowing usually means she wants your attention. Give it to her...pick her up, pet her, play with her. (Don't give her treats when she bothers you...it just reinforces her behavior...but of course, you can give her a treat or praise when she does something you like or even when she stops crying; even if it's for a minute). My suggestion is to give her a lot of praise and love. Sounds like you love her very much. And if you believe it is psychological and not physical, give her what she is asking you for...she is "talking" to you, all you have to do is listen. If it was your child crying, you'd pick her up. I wouldn't worry yourself about what could be causing this since it sounds like you've thought of everything with no changes in routine as your outcome...Try giving her attention and lots of it and see if her behavior changes.
devry4

Postby deviyn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:44 am

Theres absolutely no changes to the house? is there a toy missing? maybe she wants a new toy?
is she fed all her favorite foods? and fed anough? maybe give her special treats here and there or get her a new cat friend? or buy something thats fun to play with like a mouse or fish.
Get small goldfish and put the in a bog bowl or tub if she likes to be in water and see if she will look at the fish and play with them.
I dont really know what else to say your cat is acting strange for no reason that i can think of
Good luck finding out whats wrong
deviyn

Return to Money