Why do you not get Earned Income Credit or Child Credit on unemployment?

Postby tiernay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:39 am

I normally get back close to $6,000 on my tax return and now that I was laid off from my job I will get only a thousand back? I was so counting on this refund to help me get back on my feet, how are people supposed to survive? I cannot claim EIC or Child credit on unemployment?? Is there anyway to maximize my refund?? Please help! I didn't ask to be laid off from work
tiernay

Postby wally » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:40 am

Because unemployment is not earned income.
wally

Postby cawrdav26 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 am

Merely receiving unemployment does not automatically disqualify one for the EIC, and is not a factor for the CTC.

For the EIC, unemployment does not count when computing the credit amount. However, if you worked in 2010 the EIC would still be computed using your 2010 earned income.

For the non-refundable CTC, earned income is not necessary. Earned income is needed for the refundable Additional CTC.

You should recompute your return if you left off the EIC and CTC simply because part of your income for the year was unemployment.
cawrdav26

Postby kaley76 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:44 am

Taxreff hit the nail on the head. If you had EARNED income you can still file for the EIC and ACTC.
If unemployment was your only source of income you are out of luck on those.
kaley76

Postby birley28 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 am

Taxreff hit the nail on the head. If you had EARNED income you can still file for the EIC and ACTC.
If unemployment was your only source of income you are out of luck on those.
A lot of people are in the same situation you are including myself. I already knew ahead of time that you cant claim the Earned Income Credit on Unemployment. I would have been upset too if I had just found that out so I can imagine your frustration. But you still can claim it on the amount you did earn through your job before you were laid off. Hope This Helps.
birley28

Postby jerande32 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:54 am

you can't get earned income credit if you don't have earned income and unemployment does not count for earned income. The making work pay credit you can't get either if you didn't work. Child tax credit just takes of how much taxes you owe so if you don't owe taxes you can't get that either
jerande32

Return to Taxes