Will I get my tax return if i do the injured spouse form?

Postby ellis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 pm

my husband owes child support and the h&r block people said that even though I did the injured spouse they may still take my tax return how likely is that
ellis

Postby delrick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:51 pm

You may get PART of the REFUND if you file your tax RETURN with the injured spouse form. You will essentially get the part that would be yours if you file don your own. If you didn't work and your husband had all the income, that will basically be nothing.
delrick

Postby jummal » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 pm

I assume that a) you don't live in a community property state, b) you worked.

You will get a share of the refund. IRS doesn't publish or put out their formula for figuring the refund so that people can't ***** about how much they got.
jummal

Postby huldiberaht31 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:02 pm

If a good portion of the income was yours you will get some of the refund back. If all of the income was his the injured spouse form wont help you.

My advice is to just file like normal and let them take it. He has to catch up on his obligation anyway or they will throw him in jail and you will have to come up with ALL of it before he gets out.
huldiberaht31

Postby galchobhar95 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 pm

If a good portion of the income was yours you will get some of the refund back. If all of the income was his the injured spouse form wont help you.

My advice is to just file like normal and let them take it. He has to catch up on his obligation anyway or they will throw him in jail and you will have to come up with ALL of it before he gets out.
Hard to say, It depends on a number of factors, including whether you live in a community property state. If you're really interested, take a look at this link from the manual the IRS employee uses to figure it out. It gets complicated :)

url_not_allowed.irs.gov/irm/part25/irm_25-018-005.html
galchobhar95

Return to Taxes