Will the Marines pay for college?

Postby brock » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:03 am

My ultimate goal is to be an officer in the marine corps and make a career out of it. I was not awarded an NROTC scholarship this year, and I have a pending application currently in the works for the Naval Academy. But if I do not get accepted into the Naval Academy I want to know if there is a way that I can have the Marine Corps help me pay for college. I know I can enlist first and then they will help pay later, but my goal is to attend college before the Marine Corps, because 1. I won't forget my high school studies 2. I want to make a career out of the marines so if I join chances are I won't have time to stop and go to college. I know about the PLC program they have, but that does not provide very much money towards college. I looked up some information about the reserves but didn't find much about if they help pay for college through that route. Currently: my plan is to attend a college with NROTC, and even though "I didn't get the scholarship, apply for it and hopefully get it for the remaining 3 years Iam at that college, and pay for the 1st year myself. But I need to look into other options as well. If you have any experience or knowledge in this area please help me out. thank you
brock

Postby ephrem » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:05 am

no
ephrem

Postby macnicol43 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:09 am

Why not enlist, go to school and apply for a commission once you have a degree?
macnicol43

Postby sissie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 am

If you didn't get a ROTC scholarship I highly doubt the academy would take you. The reserves are a great deal! I did four years in the Air National Guard and it paid for my college through the GI bill (I used chapt 30, you will use 33) tuition assistance and state scholarships for guardsmen. You won't be rich through college but it should pay for your tuition and your drill pay will give you enough money to live off of. I also worked full time in the summers and saved that money to help me get through the school years. Plus when you get commission you will receive O-1 pay >4yrs or if you do enough man days (like I did) and have over 1460 points you will get O-1E pay when you get your co mission. FYI I also spent three years active before switching to the reserves
sissie

Postby enrikos85 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 am

Reapply for the Nrotc Mo high school scholarship this Spring.Be sure to have a 1st class Marine PFT 225 minimum because this is a requirement for all Marine officer commissioning programs. Word is that few Mo Scholarships are awarded with a PFT less than 280. Nrotc changed the requirements starting in 2009 and a student can now apply for the four year scholarship with less than 30 semester units at time of application; but, only if not already enrolled in the Nrotc College Program. The number of College Program Scholarships under Battalion control was limited when this change was made. Call the Battalions at the colleges you are planning on attending and ask how many college program Nrotc Mo Mids applied for and were awarded a College Program Scholarship in 2010 and 2011 and also how many applied for and were awarded advanced standing. Fill out the Fafsa and with any money awarded and Mctap and Mcfap plus pay during summer training, you could come out ahead. The initial active duty service commitment of Nrotc Scholarship commissioned Officers does not accrue GI Bill educational benefits. It does for Plc commissioned officers. So that might be another consideration. A Plc Officer Candidate in the Marine Reserves is paid E-5 Drill pay but is subjct to deployment.
Good Luck!
enrikos85

Return to Scholarships / Money For College